Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thoughts from the Miller Family

Josh - We are eating rice and beans this week so we can see what it’s like for people who only eat rice and beans. It’s really hard because we don’t get to go out to breakfast with Daddy. When I think about all the stuff I want to eat, like pistachios and fruit, except for mangos, it makes me feel kind of grateful and kind of sad.

Sam - We are not eating fancy foods this week like ice cream or steak; we’re just eating… mostly rice and beans. We’re doing this to see what it’s like to live the way poor people live. It’s kind of hard because at school they are having a bake sale, and I can’t buy anything. I’m learning that it’s really really hard for people to live this way.

Kara - Daily menu from the Millers: eggs and bread and milk for breakfast, rice and beans and a piece of fruit for lunch, rice and beans and fresh veggies for supper. I’m realizing as I type this menu that even in this week of giving up, we are so very fortunate… 3 meals a day, luxuries like fruit and vegetables and milk and bread and eggs., and the knowledge that we can go back to Oreos and Dunkin’ Donuts on Sunday. Food is much more important to me than I thought. I rely on food to make me happy. I look forward to it during the day, and I’m finding myself depressed without those special treats. Isn’t that the definition of an idol? This has become more than just an attempt to empathize with the poor…

Dave - So this week has been rice & beans. I pride myself in not really caring what I eat in general, as long as I'm not hungry. So I figured it wouldn't be too hard. fine. then came sunday night. no snack before bed! Well, unless I wanted a handful of lentils. Ok - no biggie. breakfast - bread, no butter. lunch - rice&beans. dinner - rice&beans. pre-bed snack? Uh - no. Repeat. Repeat again, etc. Argg. Guess I do have some preference to what I eat after all.






in all this, we're praying as a family that God would teach us something and that we would be changed.

2 comments: