Thursday, April 29, 2010

I would consider myself a pretty healthy eater, after all, I did choose nutrition as a profession. However, just about the one and only food that I lack a desire to eat would be beans. I come from a long line of bean haters all marching to the banner of the beans texture being its main character flaw. I can eat them but its never my first choice. So the thought of eating just beans and rice all week almost sent me running for the door Sunday morning. Now I wouldn't have felt so bad for myself if it was just myself I had to feed because I could have stretched the definition of beans and rice just a bit, but being married to a willing beans and rice contestant makes the sneaking my normal foods somewhat of a challenge. So I relunctantly dragged the bag of beans out of the cupboard and set to work making enough (and just enough) to get us through the week. However, being a bean hater I realized very quickly that I do not know how to cook the darn things. Being ever aware of sodium in the canned varieties, our beans came like little pellets right out of a sack. I've been boiling them all day it seems yet they don't want to become soft. Talk about a test of patience. This week has shown me how much I have to be thankful for, how much I take for granted (like NOT usually having to cook something all day to make it palatable) and most importantly that I NEVER have the right to complain about my life. I thank God for the gift of this life and although I do not know why I was born here and not there I choose to do HIS will in this place today and forever with a grateful heart.
Submitted by: Jackie Hempel

1 comment: